IPCC AR5 New Zealand Outreach Workshops
The IPCC Fifth Assessment (AR5) Working Group Reports are being finalised between September 2013 (Working Group I) and October 2014 (Synthesis Report).
The approved Summary for Policymakers and accepted Underlying Assessment Reports can be accessed via the IPCC website as they become available.
To ensure the wide and accurate dissemination of report findings the NZCCC, in conjunction with the Royal Society of New Zealand and other organisations, has organised two outreach workshops bringing together IPCC Lead Authors, Researchers and other interested Stakeholders to discuss the content and implications of the report findings.
Related outputs from these workshops are posted below.
Working Group II (Impacts, Adaptation, & Vulnerability) and Working Group III (Mitigation) - 'Responding to Climate Change' Stakeholder Workshop
On Wednesday 30 April 2014 a Stakeholder Workshop was held at the Royal Society of New Zealand, Wellington. Here, Working Group II Co-chair, Dr Chris Field (via VC) was joined by NZ Lead Authors (Andy Reisinger, Paul Newton, Andrew Tait, Alistair Woodward, Ralph Sims, Harry Clark & Adam Jaffe, Australian Lead Author Lesley Hughes and other researchers Cliff Law, Dan Zwartz (as NZ IPCC Focal Point) and Pene Lafale to present highlight's from the Summary for Policymakers for both reports and key findings from the underlying Assessment Report chapters.
The workshop included question and answer sessions with attendees either in person or watching via a live online webcast.
Refer to the workshop programme to see what was covered in each part in more detail.
- Richard Bedford (Introduction) & David Wratt (IPCC overview)
- Chris Field (WGII SPM and Q&A)
- Cliff Law (Ocean Systems)
- Dan Zwartz (Polar Regions)
- Alistair Woodward (Human Health)
- Cliff Law, Dan Zwartz, & Alistair Woodward (Collective Q&A)
- Pene Lefale (Small Islands)
- Andy Reisinger (Australasia - NZ Focus)
- Lesley Hughes (Australasia - Australia Focus)
- Pene Lefale, Andy Reisinger, & Lesley Hughes (Collective Q&A)
- David Wratt, Adrian Macey (Introduction) & Ralph Sims (WGIII SPM and Q&A)
- Ralph Sims (Energy & Transport)
- Harry Clark (Agriculture, Forestry, & Other Land Uses)
- Ralph Sims & Harry Clark (Collective Q&A)
- Adam Jaffe (National & Sub-National Policies)
- Adam Jaffe, Andy Reisinger, Ralph Sims, & Dan Zwartz (Collective Q&A) & David Wratt (Closing remarks)
Working Group I - The Physical Science Basis Stakeholder Workshop
On Friday 11 October 2013, a workshop was held at the Royal Society of New Zealand in Wellington. Here, Working Group I Co-chair Dr Thomas Stocker was joined by NZ Lead Authors (Dave Frame, Tim Naish, James Renwick, Victoria University of Wellington) and IPCC Vice-chair David Wratt) to present highlight's from the Summary for Policymakers and key findings from the underlying Assessment Report chapters.
A Stakeholder Panel followed focusing on the "Media, Response, and Uptake" of the Report. The panel was chaired by Peter Griffin (Science Media Centre), and consisted of Rod Oram (Business Commentator) and William Rolleston (Federated Farmers) and Frances Sullivan (Local Government New Zealand).
The workshop was web-cast live and can be viewed in full in two parts. Please refer to the workshop programme to see what was covered in each part:
Video Part I (opening - morning tea break)
Video Part II (morning tea break - close)
This event was streamed live on i-Film NZ Science.