Dr Sandra Schuster
Working Group II
Chapter 25 - ‘Australasia'
Position: Research Analyst
Qualifications: PhD (Macquarie University Sydney, Australia); Degree in Meteorology/Atmospheric Physics (University of Kiel, Germany)
Previous IPCC positions:
Dr Sandra Schuster is a research analyst, assessing the risk associated with natural hazards like bushfires, floods, hailstorms, tropical cyclones, earthquakes as well as climate change related risks in Australasia.
She completed a degree in meteorology/climatology before going on to completed a PhD researching the impact of severe hailstorms.
Prior to this, she worked in Cambridge, UK on climate change related topics concerning the Polar Regions, focusing on sea ice (including field work in the North Pole and Arctic region).
As chair of AMOS (Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society) she organised a series of public lectures surrounding the release of the IPCC reports in 2007. Furthermore, Sandra has given public talks at the Australian museum and continues to work with AMOS as vice chair in Sydney and on the national council.
- Annual MunichRe ‘Topics Geo' publication: article on the "Black Saturday Bushfires" and the "South Pacific Tsunami", "Review of natural disasters in Oceania 2009".
- Article on climate change People used to talk about the Weather, these days they talk about Climate Change for The Journal (ANZIIF), April/May 2008 issue. Awarded prize for best article of the year.
- Annual MunichRe ‘Topics Geo' publication: article on "Carbon is the currency of climate change" and "Queensland floods of 2008", "Review of natural disasters in Oceania 2008".
- Internal management briefs (Munich Re) on ENSO (climate variability & ENSO, predictability, updates with long term forecast), Tropical Cyclone risk, Forestry and carbon credits (NZ)
- Schuster, S. S., Blong, R. J. and Speer, M. S., 2005. A Hail Climatology of the Greater Sydney area and New South Wales, Australia. International Journal of Climatology, 25: 1633-1650.
- Schuster, S. S., Blong, R. J. and Leigh, R., 2005. Sydney hailstorm based on ground observations, weather radar, insurance data and emergency calls. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 5, 613-620.
- Schuster, S. S., Blong, R. J. and. McAneney, K. J., 2006. Relationship between radar derived hail kinetic energy and damage to insured buildings for severe hailstorms in Eastern Australia. Atmospheric Research, 81, 215-235.
- Schuster, S. S., Blong, R. J., Speer, M. S. and Leigh, R., accepted. Hail swath, radar reflectivity and damage characteristics of severe storms in the Sydney metropolitan area, Australia. Special issue of Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics.
- Several Briefing Notes (Risk Frontiers), conference papers and abstracts
- Several reports for the EU, conference papers and abstracts with regard to sea ice work, BAS, Cambridge.